Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Just when you thought it was safe to listen to the other faculty at the school...

Goal of the week: Getting a job would be nice.

Thought of the Day: Just when you thought it was safe to listen to the other faculty at the school...

I've gotten better about the other teachers in the school. I'm sure they think I'm a snob or worse for never really associating with them. I have an excuse because of the construction in our school. We don't have a teacher's lounge so I don't have to go there and hang out with them. Since I'm new and the school keeps leaving me off of email lists, people keep forgetting to include me in things... which is alright with me. I'm not much for social functions. I've been to a few and it's just people complaining about the students that I *enjoy* spending time with. I wouldn't want to do it on my weekend but I like my job and find it fun and satisfying. Or I wouldn't have traded research to do it.

Ok. Well. I've been thinking maybe I'm a snob. Or worse. Give the teachers a second chance. They are tired and overworked. You'll get that way soon. Maybe you'll meet people like you. Maybe you'll meet teacher friends and stop pestering all of your friends with all of your teacher-talk (tm).

So I started trying to be a social butterfly, as my mother calls it.

I've been practicing on the "white-hairs" in the back of my room. Those are the 4 old-white men that hang out back there because they don't have rooms of their own to teach in. They are nice enough. Most of them are special ed, like my aunt. Ok. They are really nice guys but the difference in culture towards education sometimes gives me pause. Sometimes I just can't get it at all and I have to just agree to disagree. I was taught to respect my elders.

One of them just said, and I quote, "here's a good worksheet to help your kids learn how to write a 5 paragraph essay. I use it with my special ed kids... well... it's not like any of them can write anyway but I figured it would help your kids." Yeah. This is were we agree to disagree. And I stop and leave the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment