Monday, April 20, 2009

Apparently, I've just now realized they're not all mature angels...

Goal of the week: Getting the DOT project done. And more done. And more done. And more done. And more done. And more done...

Thought of the day: Apparently, I've just now realized they're not all mature angels...

There's many difficulties with being a teacher. Having stressful days is one of them. I hate teaching when I'm stressed. I've been sick all weekend and at a funeral. I am completely unprepared for this week (or at least to the level that I like to be) because I was out of town all weekend. Now... I need to play catchup after the fact which is something that I hate.

And I have my usual hangers-on during lunch. Two of them are angels on Earth and I love their company. One stays around and I have started to think of her as more than a student because she's just a pleasure to be around. The other is just a great student and really on task. She wants to stay in my room to get her homework done.

The third wants to stay in there because he wants to use me as his personal ego stimulator. He doesn't get enough attention at home, I think. Ok, I feel sorry for him but I have a lot of things to do. He's a good kid at heart, but he does and says a lot of things to get attention. This includes saying things just to set me off and get me to argue with him while I'm busy because he wants the attention.

The other two are wonderful and will leave me be if I need to work.

I need to set ground rules for him. My lunch time is when I work. I don't mind him in here and I don't mind occasionally talking to him, but if I say that he needs to leave me alone and he continues to harass me then he will not be allowed back in. I guess that's what needs to occur. I can't be a good teacher to all if I'm constantly stressed from not having the time to work. Ugh.

Why can't they all be mature angels?

No comments:

Post a Comment