Friday, February 13, 2009

Oral Quiz Day

My goal to work on this week: proximity. The idea that a teacher should be as close to the students as possible at all possible times. This is done by circling them constantly like a shark while I talk, lecture, explain, or generally help them work. I'm always on the move around them so they never know when I'm going to be behind them, but they know it's going to be sometime soon. It's really been helpful in my classes. More helpful than a lot of things.

Today's topic for thought: weekly quizzes. I love giving my students weekly quizzes. I think it's a good way for them to review the material and a good way for me to assess quickly who is getting it and who is not. Today, I finally got around to trying something different that I've been wanting to do for some time. I got this idea awhile back from a SpED instructor I have in my Masters Program. She told me that there was a SpED lady that gave out tests by giving the students review questions and going over them in class. That way, everyone knew the questions and had a chance to learn them. She went over them and even did another day and made them into a game. When test day rolled around, she had them stand up one at a time and answer one or the review questions randomly. No one got to pick their question. It was hit or miss, and that was thier test.

I have modified that down to this for our one week fossil unit: Mr T Rex was walking down the street and he (died in a horrific way). Tell me how he because (insert one of the 3 types of fossils) step by step.

I've been killing Mr T Rex horrifically all day. The kids love it.

Also, I can't have them answer in front of each other. I always hated doing that. Maybe I'll work up to it later.

I have to say, most of the kids really have been liking this type of quiz. It's over quickly. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment