Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Constant Attention

Today's topic for discussion: my kids need so much attention. My students are in a high-needs school and I recently brought in a friend of mine from college who as thinking of subbing in the school system where I work. I wanted my friend to see what she was getting into before she made the decision to work here or not. It's not for everyone and I don't want people coming in unless they mean to make it their home. The kids need someone who is going to stay.

At any rate, her comment to me after spending a day with me in my classes and around my students was to the effect of "some of them need constant attention, don't they?"

After I thought about it, don't all teenagers need constant attention? That's what makes them teenagers? They want you to see them and how great they are all the time? You need to be patient all the time. You need to boost their fragile egos all the time. It's part of what I like about my job.

It's also the part that is exhausting. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment