Friday, January 29, 2010

Interactive Notebooks: Day 5

Interactive Notebooks: Day 5

I told my students that I was collecting the notebooks today to grade them. Suddenly, there was a flurry of activity while they all rushed to get done a whole week's worth of work instead of working on the activity for today. I think that in the future I'm going to say that there will be one check per week but it will be random. That will save me a lot of fuss and trouble.

Also, it doesn't really help me to have my students not paying attention to me because they're worried about their grade for the previous stuff. Whether they realize it or not, I'm more worried about working with them on *today's* materials so that they can ask me for help or remediation when I'm *there* and can help them.

So far, I'm not too impressed with the Interactive Notebook's ability to help my students retain material because they're not invested in them. However, as an assessment tool - they're stellar. I can grade them in about 1 minute and the students can easily see exactly what they are missing. They're fantastic in that regard!

No comments:

Post a Comment