Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Interactive Notebook Research, Day 2

Interactive Notebooks
The students were having trouble today. I think I need to go back and re-teach them the basics of Genetics because so many of them are not getting it. This is going to set me back but I'd rather have them understand the basics well then shallowly understand very little.

Today's activities involved vocabulary matching. Note for next time, if you're going to ask students that never study to match vocabulary words to the correct step in turning DNA in protein, make sure to review the meanings first. Or better yet, have them copy the definitions from the back of the book into their notebook BEFORE the activity. That was my major issue today. The kids kept looking at me with confused looks because they didn't remember what the vocabulary words mean that we worked on last week.

Le sigh.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be better. I'm going to have them work on mini-essays where they summarize the two steps (transcription and translation) and then draw what's happening. Then they're going to underline all the vocab words in the mini-essay. Hopefully, that will make them review and use the material. I hope. Short of making them repeat the words over and over until I force them to memorize them, I don't know what to do to help them get the basics. Understanding is easy. However, they lose their understanding if they don't memorize the basic stuff like vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment