Friday, March 6, 2009

Workaholic

Goal of the week: To find the goals for my program so I can have goals for the week that adhere to my program's standards. That's a really good goal! That, and to actually get my lesson plans up on time. I'm always running late.

I love working with kids. Some days I don't want to be around people, but I think you'll find that with any job. Most days, I really look forward to coming into work. The students make me laugh so much. They are so funny and wonderful. I've never laughed so much at a job in my entire life.

Shhh... don't tell anyone. I think they're paying me just to have fun while teaching the kids. There has to be some sort of problem with that.

On a more serious note, I do take my job really seriously. I've started staying after school until about 5 or 630 at night. That usually makes for a 10 to 11 hour day when you add it all up. I need to get a key to my building to I can come in on the weekend. I don't remember when I became such a workaholic, but it apparently happened. I just have so much to do and if I bring it home with me it never seems to get done. When I get home, I'm so exhausted that I just want to collapse.

So I've justified my obscene amounts of time at work like this: I'm a graduate student and a first year teacher. Both of those things require a lot of time on my part. It won't always be this way. I anticiapte that within the next year I'll finish up my grad program and that will clear up a lot of time. I hope that within the next two or three years after that I'll really get a handle on how to teach to the best of my ability. Then, I'll know how to do things well and I won't have to put quite as much work into it. I can spend some more time at home.

It's an investment. I'm paying now so I can get good and have a family later. Right? Or I'm just turning myself into an insane workaholic. Heads or tails on that one. At least more grading gets done.

No comments:

Post a Comment