Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fire Drills and Maturity

Today, it was negative 24 with the windchill. I think that the actual temerature was somewhere around 10 below zero. I know that when I went outside I wanted to scream and I was bundled within an inch of my life. I don't know what it must have been like for the kids that didn't have the appropriate outerwear. I'm so glad that I started operation rent-a-sweater. It has turned into operation grab-a-sweater because yesterday, during one of the coldest days of the year, we had a fire drill. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, we had a fire drill. When it was 24 degrees below zero outside and most of my students were in lightweight polos and tee shirts we had to go outside for 5 minutes. Most of the student body did not have sweaters. I had just brought my box of sweaters into the building that morning and I'm so glad that I did. I was throwing sweaters to the students when I heard the alarm go off first period. In fact, I was throwing my scarf, my coat, and my suit jacket to the students (because I was in a sweater with my suit and they were in tee shirts). It was insane. One of my students that I wrapped up in my scarf said in a sarcastic voice "thanks mom!" When we went outside, I saw him wrapping the scarf around another student in the same way because she was freezing in just a thin tee shirt. I resisted the urge to shout "thanks mom" at him and embarrass him. See, I can be the mature adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment