Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tuesday of Last Week

Tuesday of Last Week...

The students are supposed to have a test from the District today. On this test, the students should have questions over the material that we were supposed to have taught during the past 4 to 5 weeks. I'm really excited by this last test because I want to know how my students are doing with the new type of lessons I've been doing. Everyone in Education is excited about PBL (Project Based Learning) and I want to see if the hype is worth it. I like it because it keeps the kids busy and engaged, but I have my doubts as to if there's any improvement on their test scores of their retention.

I guess I don't really know how to get them to learn en masse. If I work with individual students, I'm better.


At any rate, we've been told that our District Benchmark tests should be printed up by tomorrow, so I quickly gave the students an activity for their projects that they're finishing. I should have set the presentations up like I did last year - things went so smoothly and I really felt like the kids were doing better with public speaking. Last year, I made a "practice run" where they informally presented to me and I provided feedback. That really helped the students do better. This year, I didn't for last term and they were catastrophic. I think havingt a deadline where the students need to have everything together before they go up and present makes them have it done and catches a few of the stragglers that always do things the "night before." I'll have to plan this better for next time.

One of my students said something hilarious today and I'm trying to remember it. The kids say so many funny things that it's hard to keep track.

Oh, here - for your viewing pleasure, my students asking me questions:
Student 1: We shouldn't have a test today, in honor of *the Day*.
Me: Why is that?
Student 1: It's 4:20.
Me: Nice try. School goes on and you learn stuff.
Student 2: Do you celebrate 4:20.
Me: Of course not. I need all my brain cells to keep up with all of you.
Student 1: Do your parents celebrate 4:20.
Me: (Pause) Possibly when they were younger.
Student 1: I want to come over to their house today!
Me: Sit down and learn something!

No comments:

Post a Comment