Perhaps I'm a mudpuppy at this point. I just want to have my life work out.
Things that are working in my classroom:
- Hot water kettle for oatmeal or tea.
- Assignment calendar to record each day's work.
- Student Star Awards
- Calling parents at warning #2 for misbehavior... (up to 21 a night - ugh)
- Attention grabber in the form of a Suquishy Ball that I throw around the room
- Review Jeopardy for candy at the start of each day
- Set procedure for getting the students' attention (5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - all eyes on me)
- Student Behavior Cards - logging all phone calls home... and students get a call for anything they've done wrong... lots of time on the phone for me and it's all recorded for posterity.
- Study supplies table - where everything is organized for the students. They have all spare copies of assignments going back for the unit, their work for today to be passed out, and spare paper/pencils for people that don't have any.